Reflecting on Experiences and Connecting it to New Experiences? Sounds like Constructivism!
What I Have Learned as an Adult Learner
Something that surprised me through this course is the theoretical frameworks. As an undergraduate, we discussed the frameworks at length in their imprint in elementary classrooms, but had not considered frameworks that would support adult learners. I was surprised that the classical frameworks for adults and children are the same. But what was most surprising is the lack of additional theories or forms of learning research for adult learners. I appreciated that in this course, we were challenged to develop activities that included the various classical frameworks. In the future, I would like to learn more about how you would support an adult learner that did not have a full or satisfactory productive learning experience to make progress as a young learner, how would you support them. For example, if you are supporting an adult learner who is reading at a third grade level, what would be the steps in supporting them?
As we wrap up the course, I consider how I will continue on my learning journey. I am excited to continue in the next steps as I will engage in a practicum and additional research. I enjoy hands-on learning, a nod to my preferred learning style (discussed below). I love opportunities to experience the role I will be in and learn alongside a seasoned professional.
With this information and excitement for my practicum, I consider how I will support my teachers as a team leader but also as a future reading specialist. I would like to provide opportunities for self-directed learning by engaging teachers in picking an area they want to grow in, supporting them in finding resources and even modeling in their classrooms. I also realized what kind of learning I like (described below) and how I would like to use that in my own role. Supporting educators in constructing their own meaning, allowing space for experiences like visiting other classrooms, reflection, and collaboration is at the heart of my learning philosophy. This is the direction I will go in as I support teachers at my school as they engage in continued learning in our field.
Adult Learner - a Definition
As we have progressed through this course, my idea of an adult learner has changed. At the beginning, my idea of an adult learner was someone who was going to a post secondary school, such as a masters student or even a doctorate student. However, through this course I have found that as we engage in our daily lives we can be adult learners. As we start to google about the next recipe for sourdough, we are choosing to start a learning journey (a self-directed learning journey). Adult learners can be those who are choosing to go back to school or it can be anyone who has an interest they want to learn more about and takes action to learn it. The adult learner is someone who I think is really courageous, as the adult learner has to manage regular life, work, possibly caring for kids or other family and leading a healthy life/work/school work balance.
My Preferred Theory and Definition of Learning
After reading about the various classical learning theories, there was one that stuck out to me. The theory states that learners construct meaning through experiences and connecting experiences to their prior experiences and knowledge (Language and Philosophy, 2024; Merriam & Bierema, 2014; Merriam et al., 2025). It was also expanded by others to add in the social aspect of constructing meaning; we can learn from others through discourse and collaboration. If you guessed constructivism, you are right! I defined learning as acquiring knowledge through experiences, reflection, hands-on activities, and collaboration with knowledgeable adults and peers. I thrive in constructivism where I can meaningfully connect and discuss with other classmates.
I can also understand that the other theories are also beneficial for other reasons. For example, behaviorism may be crucial during the primary ages as students learn how to be students and how school works. Humanism as well is of utmost importance as we show care, love, and respect for our students and instill those values in them as well. Cognitivism is also important as we design instruction for students to notice patterns and apply them to new knowledge (Language and Philosophy, 2024; Merriam & Bierema, 2014; Merriam et al., 2025). With all of the theories in mind, I define learning through a series of opportunites, like experiences, reflection, hands-on activities and collaboration. I mostly identify with constructivist views of education, I find the value in all theories.
As for the bonus question, I believe that this course has been designed with a constructivist approach. Throughout this course, we have had opportunities to construct meaning through connections with past experiences, collaboration through padlet, as well as applying new learning in authentic assignments such as making an ad and designing a concept map of all we have learned. Lastly we have always reflected on our experiences, like we are now, thus engaging in our critical thinking about our experiences in the course.
This adult learner is signing off... for now! Thank you for reading.
References
Language and Philosophy. (2024). What is constructivism? [Video recording].
Merriam, S. B., Bierema, L. L., & Fedeli, M. (2025). Adult learning : Linking theory and practice (2nd ed.). Jossey-Bass, a Wiley Brand.
Merriam, S. B., & Bierema, L. L. (2014). Adult learning: Linking theory and practice (pp. 24–41). Jossey-Bass, a Wiley brand.
Comments
Post a Comment